Some Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC), established to assist Kauai and Honolulu residents in applying for benefits following April’s flooding, will merge and change their hours of operations beginning this weekend. Hanalei Elementary School in Kauai and Aina Haina Elementary School in Honolulu will remain open.
Jointly operated by Kauai County, the City and County of Honolulu, the state of Hawai‘i, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Disaster Recovery Centers offer homeowners, renters, businesses and nonprofits organizations affected by the April flooding, mudslides and landslides, a one-stop shop for disaster assistance.
Residents can still register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and apply for low-interest disaster loans with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) by visiting the remaining DRC locations.
The centers’ new hours of operation and location changes are:
· Hanalei Elementary School Cafeteria; 5-5415 Kuhio Hwy., Hanalei, HI
– Service: FEMA; Small Business Administration (SBA); State and County Agencies
– Open daily from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
· Kōloa Elementary School Humanities Room; 3223 Poipu Road, Koloa, HI
– Closing end of day Saturday, July 7, 2018
– Hours – 9:00 am-6:00 pm
· Kapaa Elementary School Cafeteria; 4886 Kawaihau Road, Kapaa, HI
– Closing end of day Sunday July 8, 2018
– Hours – 9:00 am-6:00 pm
· Aina Haina Elementary; 801 W. Hind Drive, Honolulu, HI
– Service: FEMA and SBA
– NEW HOURS Effective Monday, July 9, 2018
– Open daily from 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
· Keolu Elementary; 1416 Keolu Drive, Kailua, HI
– Closing end of day Sunday, July 8, 2018
– Hours – 8:00 am-6:00 pm
A Federal Disaster Assistance American Sign Language video (FEMA Registration Process – Home Inspections) is available here.
Staffing the DRC are representatives from FEMA, the State, the U.S. Small Business Administration, state and local agencies. Survivors can meet face to face to have their questions answered and may register at the DRC.
Survivors can also apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. HST seven days a week.
To apply for SBA low-interest disaster loans, business owners, private nonprofits, homeowners and renters can visit the disaster recovery center for one-on-one assistance or apply online using SBA’s secure website here.
In addition, applicants can get more information on SBA disaster assistance by calling SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or 800-877-8339 (TTY), by visiting sba.gov/disaster or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call 800-877-8339.
Paper applications may be requested, and completed paper applications should be mailed to U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.