Beginning next Monday, June 7, 2021, select Honolulu park pools will take part in a pilot program aimed at allowing greater public access.
The new pool operation procedures include:
- No time limit for lane usage (previous limit was 45 minutes)
- More than one person can occupy a swim lane if members are of the same household
- No reservations. Walk-ins only. Those waiting must remain outside the pool facility.
- Immediate turn-around in between lane uses
Pools at the following parks will be included in this pilot program:
- Booth District Park
- Mark Takai Veterans Memorial Aquatics Center (half of the 20 lanes)
- Kāne‘ohe District Park
- Kapaolono Community Park
- Makiki District Park
- Mānana Neighborhood Park
- Pālolo Valley District Park
- Waikele Community Park
This pilot program will be reviewed following the initial two-week period. Honolulu Department of Parks and Recreation staff will be monitoring public comment, user behavior/preference, and overall pool impact to determine the feasibility of the pilot program.
Currently, only lap swimming is allowed in City pools. We look forward to allowing more diverse usage of the City park pools in the near future.